2/11/08

The Wino - er... Wine Connoisseur Speaks on Design


As I am currently in the process of branding my winery, e?nigma, I have been paying even closer attention to the packaging of wines from different regions. I personally like the cost-value relationship of Australian and South African wines, but additionally these wines tend to have some of the most interesting and diverse packaging and brands on the shelves today.

I've been long bored by the gold embossing and delicate paper textures on wine bottles from italy and france. It was said to me recently that some feel that these characteristics are iconic of quality and prestige but I think this is hogwash. I may not be wealthy enough to appreciate the value of a $50 bottle of wine, but cost seems to be the only thing indicated by so-called 'fancy' packaging on these bottles.

I like to get a sense of mood from a bottle of wine; is it fun, sombre, delicate, exuberant, sensual? I cannot tell this from a fancy gold swash or an off-white label.

I prefer wines who attempt to create a sense of play or experimentation in the consumer, here are a few examples of 'fun' wine packaging:

Red Knot:

Kelly's Revenge:

South African wine - Obikwa:

My desire to create a mood for the consumer will be translated through the batch name where each batch will feature a dynamic and unusual name that when interpereted will indicate the qualities of the wine itself. eg. 'Glacial Sandstorm' (A dry wine best served chilled) etc.

1 comment:

cornelius-nation said...

I've always enjoyed a good wine bottle design and packaging. The examples you showed are brilliant.
I also think the concept for your wine logo is really well thought out. it has much potential.