2/9/08

Superbowl 2008

While I may not have strapped my brain into a machine to test the efficiency of the advertisements during the 2008 super bowl, I can definitely say that I was impressed with the diversity and creativity shown in their execution.

I find it difficult to summarize any one overriding theme, as many different subjects are discussed such as valentines day, self-help and general silliness. By and large the commercials were comedic in format and fairly well thought out conceptually. My favorite ads came from Saatchi & Saatchi, BBDO Worldwide, and Weiden & Kennedy.

I can definitively say that the 'Bob's house' ad from BBDO is my favorite ad of the superbowl season. The ad was targeted to a growing demographic of Deaf individuals, and was shot entirely in ASL(American Sign Language). No audio was used and even though I 'speak' passable ASL I was thankful that the ad was subtitled for people not fluent in sign language.
The ad seemed to be a branding piece for EnAble; a division of PepsiCo, as it was not intended to promote a product, but educate people and raise awareness of Deaf culture in a fun way.

My runner up for favorite would be between the career builder ads from Weiden & Kennedy(for their simultaneous depiction of one character as both hero and victim) , and the tide to go interview ad by Saatchi & Saatchi (Because they obscured all conversation and the ad was twice as effective).

No comments: