2/11/08

Martin Kvamme - what strange music looks like

Some people may say that my taste in experimental music has long ago gone awry, an I might just be inclined to agree. It seems that my favorite musician Mike Patton is slowly losing his mind, in the most audibly pleasing way possible. His projects include numerous bands such as Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Tomahawk, Fantomas, and a variety of more experimental and virtually incoherent jibberish.

While this blog entry does not directly concern his music, it does relate to his imprint label ipecac for whom Martin Kvamme designs a bulk of their packages and posters.

Tomahawk's Mit Gas:
These are detail shots of the hotfoil stamping featured on my favorite CD design. In fact, the CD itself is my favorite CD in part because of the contrast between the rough experimental sound and slick regal packaging. With CD design a great deal of how we interpret music is through perception.

I did some research and found that many of my favorite designs of late had been designed by martin for ipecac.

Fantomas' Directors Cut:General Patton Versus the X-ecutioners:
Peeping Tom:

Of late a great deal of his designs have been cardboard sleeves, which to me says alot about sustainable design in music packaging. Who needs a hundred jewel cases that will someday be cluttering either a landfill or consuming valuable resources to recycle.

Some Posters as well:
This guy apparently has my dream job, designing strange packaging for strange music... Someday I hope to be able to work with clients such as these.

1 comment:

DanyWu said...

Strange is always an amazing word. You can do so much crazy stuff with it. Well, it's always challenge and excite to work on a big brand, but you get most of your fun at these small temporary designs.