2/20/08

Fossil - packaging with true integrity

Theres something to be said for those who stay true to traditional standards of quality.








One of my favorite brands -one of the few brands which I see fit to endorse- is Fossil. The classic style and feeling that they strive to encapsulate for the consumer has hit home with me ever since I was given my first fossil watch a few years ago.







In packaging, I am a big fan of reusability. For me, the more uses something gets, the better I can justify the production of a product in the first place. With a Fossil Tin, not only have you got a work of art -a show piece if you will- I can say from experience that each tin in my ever growing collection has served a variety of functions in their own time.

I also feel that the use of their signature tins is reflective of the quality of products that they provide. I have yet to be dissappointed by the quality of fossil products each with leather trimming or a variety of other features.

Although I suppose the statement made by designing a tin for your product is that it is of a high level of quality. After all, what better way is there to imply that your new watch may still need a home in 5, 10, or 15 years.

I think this is what is missing from our consumer culture. It is remarkably rare that we would buy products that will last a lifetime. It seems Aldous Huxley knew what he was talking about in Brave New World when he supposed that our love of new products would be a driving force for industry "Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches"




















My girlfriend Debbie recently gave me a book called 'Tinspiration' which is where I got these samples from. The book is a collection of tins arranged and photographed in interesting and unique ways indicative of the inspiration that went into each tin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, this sort of packaging is really nice and very usefull. Do you know which company in china produc this box? I'm really interested and I'm looking for this information since a while.

Thank!
And sorry for my bad english.

houston Kenna said...

Great article. Very very helpful. I just want to add as a suggestion, that please do not drive while you are drunk. These days most of the accidents occur due to alcohol or using cell phone while driving. POP Displays