3/24/08

Pro Bono Pressure: Is a Graphic Designer Obliged to Work for Free?

No.

As a student hoping to acheive success and recognition in my field, there is no obligation for me to work Pro-Bono, there is a need. While I would not expect my peers to donate their time and energy for no payment, I would not hesitate to help an organization whose need was clearly defined. It is an excellent opportunity to give back to the community and gain recognition as a conscientious designer which is becoming more and more valuable in todays business world.

I do draw a line in terms of who I would consent to doing pro-bono work for. I would undoubtedly offer my services in full, free of payment to not-for-profit organizations whose beneficiaries are truly in need. I would not be willing to offer free services on the other hand, to companies who do stand to earn a profit from my work.

I think that there are too many not-for-profit organizations who need an extra push to be able to live up to their full potential. Often an organization will undervalue the benefit that design can bring to their overall efficiency, or else they simply cannot divert assets into design that could otherwise benefit their cause.

Looking for examples of agencies who do engage in pro-bono work, I found a website for a pro bono initiative:






The 1% is an initiative that connects not-for-profit organizations with architecture and design firms who have pledged 1% of their time to making the world a better place.












While this is a U.S. initiative, I would like to see something similar for graphic designers. Too often, people contribute to organizations based on the reputability of their brand, this restricts the number of people who would otherwise be interested in contributing to real grassroots initiatives that would improve the quality of life around us.

As designers it is not a matter of obligation, it is a matter of standing up for what we believe in, and doing what we can to help.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your post very much. As a writer and educator about pro-bono work for creatives, I think an important factor is education of both client and designer. A young, talented creative can learn much about working in the business world by undertaking pro bono projects in the non-profit industries, and they can also educate their 'employers' about the true value of design work. And there are tons of opportunities out there. A good place to start is at http://www.businessofdesignonline.com. Under Working Pro Bono we've
compiled a list of resources for people who want to undertake a project like the ones you mention.

And you're right -- no designer should work for free; we should always get something back!