3/21/08

A list of things I have learned thus far

Stephan Sagmeister is a designer and artist who has taken what he has learned through experience and expressed it through an assortment of large scale installation art pieces. He revisited the list from which the pieces were created at the 2007 TED conference which you can watch here.










In response to the list of things Stephan Sagmeister has learned so far, I too have boiled down what I now know into a short list of knowable truths.

I cannot control how my words, actions, or designs are interpreted.
I am responsible for my failings and successes.
karma will be repaid, for better or worse.
A mistake is often forgivable, taking for granted that it will be forgiven, is not.
Loving some(one/thing) is meaningless unless you express it.
When you love and respect yourself, others will too.
Stupidity ends with education, ignorance with love, and arrogance with defeat.
Losing control of my temper brings out the ugly side of the people around me.
My creativity is dependent on nourishment and rest.
I will never be completely satisfied by the quality of my own work.


While I cannot say that I look back favorably on the circumstances in which these lessons were learned, their value to me is incalculable nonetheless.

No comments: