3/21/08

Designing the collapse of a moral society

What design work would I refuse?

In graphic design there are opposing views as to how a designer should approach controversial issues. Either suck it up and do the work regardless of the message, or take a stand and risk putting your neck on the line.

Where do I stand on the matter? as you may have already gathered from the title of this post, I couldn't bring myself to work on an indecent campaign if I tried. I should probably be fairly specific on this count for fear of my meaning being construed.

Now, I consider myself a progressive individual who respects the rights of people to do and (usually) say whatever they want so long as it is respectful of others. I can appreciate when a person who is true to themselves speaks their mind honestly, but what I cannot condone is advertising that has no benefit aside from selling a negative and socially destructive attitude.
















The diesel ad pictured above was part of a larger campaign which featured men in provocative scenarios which would not have been so bad if not for the medium; these ads were regularly featured on outdoor billboards. These ad's(above and below) shared a billboard on the side of a building looming over Yonge street for nearly a year.



















While I would not consider myself a prude, I could not condone building a brand that presented a glorified image of perversity. Yes, I understand that this campaign was likely intended for a European market, but I feel too strongly that this sort of advertising further undermines the positive values and self respect that we no longer embody.

It is fairly naive to think that I could get by as a graphic designer if I refused to work on any account that offended my values. I understand that extremes must be explored if a brand is to be differentiated. I disagree with placing an ad like this on a billboard, it seems more intended to push peoples boundaries than simply creating awareness.

No comments: