1/26/08

Apple vs. World, who will be the victor?

There is no arguing that Apple has been a dominating force in innovating new products and concepts. Having created the first PDA, refined portable computing, and even bringing graphical user interfaces to the world, they have certainly had a massive influence on the way people perceive technology.

Personally, I commend them on their efforts. While they have had rough patches in the past, I trust that they will remain a powerful force in producing electronics in the future. But I am at odds with the idea of crediting Apple as being responsible for 'changing the world'.

I am a firm believer in causality. Yes, Apple has released many new and innovative products, but progress is progress. In a world where people need faster and faster ways to accomplish tasks, someone will invariably step in with a bright idea.

Apple did have the bright idea to bring technology to the consumer, packaging it in a way that people saw how useful it could be. In my opinion, this has caused a consumer driven explosion of useless gadgetry, far from the innovation on which Apple rose to success.

People don't really seem to care anymore how useful the technology is, or even whether it will make their lives any better(or worse) just how much fun they can have showing off their new toys.

In truth, I don't really feel that Apple or anyone else deserves either blame or credit for how the world has changed, but one thing is for sure; For better or worse, I love my iLife.

No comments: